Friday, June 1, 2007

Designs I Love: Classic Comics Collections



Lavishly designed reprint collections of classic comic strips—it's an honest-to-god trend, and I'm all for it.

I would love to get my hands on one of those deluxe reprint series. Actually, I was halfway through an unsolicited letter to Fantagraphics asking them to let me have a crack at the Pogo archives before they announced the new Jeff Smith-designed editions. I can't be too disappointed, though, because Smith is a guy who clearly knows his Pogo. I'm not the only one who always figured "Boneville" was just another name for the Okeefenokee Swamp, right? Plus, I'm pretty sure Albert and Smiley Bone smoke the same brand of cigars...

(And yes, I'm absolutely posting this now because I noticed Jacob Covey linked to this blog over at FLOG. Thanks, Jacob! You ever get overworked over there, you know who to call...)

1 comment:

MacGuffin said...

I love Chris Ware's design sensibility along with his comics of course. Though I have to say, the oddball shapes and sizes he plays around with make it damn difficult to group everything together on a shelf.